Friday, January 11, 2008

Using hyperlinks in blogger

Hey...been thinking for a while what to post up have noticed some out there arent quite sure how to use html within the blog. So I thought I could post a very simple intro to a link you dont see...(like the http:// etc part) you just see the word. Some of you do know this...others dont..or mabye do and dont care. Whatever..it makes a post.
Now..its real easy when you are making a post because up by your font options is a button to create a hyperlink..of course this will make one that is clickable by just highlighting the text you want to make into a hyperlink...then click the 'hyperlink' icon..you can then add your website 'url' here. But if you want to do this in a post you will need to do the following:

I had to create images for because 'blogger' sees the html tags and hides them...but you need to see them to create them.

If you making a post just click the link (you may have to agree to let your browser use integrated scripts) and put into the address bar in the box that pops up your web address. NOW when you hit OK it will input into your post the link you made. You will see

..but for your visitors to see anything you will need to add your text for the link in between the ><. This of course ONLY works when you are posting on your own blog...(unless I am mistaken). If you want to add it to a comment you would do the following. I prefer to do it this way all the time..but to each his own.
so it would look like this.

The full link you would type in looks like the following

Your vistors would see
LINK

Edit: 1/13/08
At a readers request I have decided to alert you to tabs in the upper left of your screen when you creating a post. You have 3 effective links (two are tabs, one is a link)

Edit Html - You can see the html tags around all your text
Compose - This shows you typical compose screen and you can see any links our images you have added in this screen.
Preview(link) - This is the final screen you can use to make sure all the layout is as you want your readers to see.

NOW remember that if you intend to add a link to a comment of someone else's blog.....these tabs will not be available..you just have to have have the tutorial open to follow (or printed) or in my case memorized.

7 comments:

Janelle said...

yeah you are my new favorite cousin I was just trying to figure that out today and no luck so now that I have some destructions maybe I can figure it out. THANKS!

TooSure said...

ummm, i am having trouble understanding...i think it is because the whole time i am reading, i am thinking how cool this is and what website i can use...erggh! i will try back later when Guitar Hero isnt blaring from our tv.

Anonymous said...

I think this is so cool too. I also am having a hard time following what you say but I will just have to follow step by step. I know how to add links like a basic website-you just click on the little chain icon and enter the address but this post is perfect for like what Janelle did. My problem and my request is that you help me figure out how to make a post where I can type some words, add a picture and figure out how to make the caption go below the picture (eg. the chinese names )
So. do that now computer wiz.

Faminy o Chaos said...

Well...I probably shouldnt post anything when im at work. It is a bit difficult keeping track of your train of thought when your typing up a post and testing back and forth. I might go through and edit the way its written.
As for the picture one...well usually on inserting a image from the menu it lets you choose whether you want it centered with the text..next to it etc.
I guess you would have to explain how you normally add a picture.

Anonymous said...

I know how to add just one or maybe two but sometimes you see people who add somewhere around 7 and are actually able to put the picture in, put text under it and then there's the next picture, text under it...when I do that, I go to the "edit Html" screen and can sort of manipulate the photos by highlighting all of the coding, copying and pasting it to a different spot, say under the words I've just typed- but if I try to do it multiple times it comes out looking really...stupid. So chew on that for a while...

Hot MMMama said...

... I really needed this, but will have to read that a bunch o' times before I can figure it out for sure... I am just so used to the Mac easy click and drag stuff, I want everything to be that simple.

Faminy o Chaos said...

I probably am not good at technical writing..think I will have to redo the post...
One thing to add...there are shortcuts to do most this stuff using keystrokes.
for Hyperlink its ctrl+shift+a brings up the hyperlink window...(again only when you are creating a post....not commenting).