Thursday, January 17, 2008

Got this in an email a couple years back...and it resurfaced...so I'll pass it on.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.


Or rather...
According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

Found this site explaining it.

Now..the question is...how many of you could read that....easily...I mean I would like those commenting to rate on a scale of 1-5 (1 being most dificult) how easy this came.

Also rate your reading frequency on the same scale...(1 meaning you do not read often)

I dont think this really indicates intelligence...more I think those that read more might find it flows more. SO...I figure if we rated our capacity to read that above...AND indicate our amount of reading...I can see if this is correct...well as long as I get a few comments from 'light' readers.

8 comments:

Faminy o Chaos said...

My rating:
Ease of read: 5
Frequency of reading: 5

TooSure said...

Ease of read: 5
Frequency of reading: 3

I have seen that before, it has been a while...i still find it fascinating.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even realize it was a that weird email thing til I was halfway thru the paragraph. I have always been surprised at how easily it comes too.
Ease of read:5 (is that the highest?, if it then yes, 5)
Frequency of reading:5
I can't wait to hear from the people who don't read much...

Faminy o Chaos said...

Me either. The first time I saw this I didn't know either what the deal was cause it made total sense.
I showed it to several others at school and 2 of the 10 couldn't even read it. I always wondered what the difference was...but felt awkward asking them...

rubberbucketsaysso said...

Ease of read: 5
Frequency of read: 5
but i also have seen this pretty frequently, so that may be the reason

Hot MMMama said...

Ease of read: 5
Frequency of reading: 4.5

I have seen that before, but like Becca, read about a third of it and then thought, oh, I read this post already, then realized, wait... this is the weird letter mix up thing, oh yeah.

I think asking us all to rate it is fun. I was surprised Jon that there are people that can't rate it.. I want to take it with me and ask random people too!

cjmom said...

I love reading that cause it takes me a few lines to realize anything is wrong. The funny thing is, today while I was reading it, I tripped up on the word "be" and it is spelled correctly I give myself a 5 on ease and a 6 on frequency of reading.

Faminy o Chaos said...

Hmm...will have to take this to the general populace...seems our family are frequent readers...and have seen it several times....so our scientific experiment avails us NOTHING...except a mild entertainment and realization that we all read.
LOL